Saturday 13 February 2010

Illegal downloads on decline?




I read an interesting article the other day [thanks to honorary Dummy Jeroen] about the possible decline of illegal music downloads. Read the article at NY Times.com. It made me think of my own behavior and if it has changed, and i realized that it has. A year ago one was more inclined to turn to illegal downloads than today...

The reason it has changed is the growth of music services like Spotify. They make it easy to find new music and the cost for it is little compared to what it would cost to buy all the albums you listen to [99 SEK | 10 EUR | 13 USD for 30 days or free of charge with commercials at Spotify]. Well spent money my friend. For someone like me its ideal, I can listen to a lot of new music, and if I fall in love with an album I will buy it on CD [yes, i still buy CDs]. The best part is that the artist get's a little something every time you listen to their song :)

So, are you still downloading illegally? Please comment [you can be anonymous] below. Thanks!

So far Spotify is only available in Sweden, Norway, Finland, the UK, France and Spain. It will grow to new countries eventually, but in the meantime, try to find a similar service in your own home country.